As cliche as it may sound, you truly are a combination of the “5 people you spend most of your time with.” I call these people my Starting Line Up.
Have you ever watched a basketball game and looked at who their starters are? You have teams where there is the one superstar (is that you!?) and then the rest are more so bench warmers. Or you have the team where 4 of the 5 people are all benchwarmers and the 5th is the water boy (is that you!?). Either way, the most successful teams have a great combination of superstars and players that got their back but can also hold their own.
So take a moment and think what does your group of friends look like? Is everyone struggling? Is everyone at the top of their game but complacent? Is everyone supportive of one another unconditionally?
Write out what each of the 5 people you surround yourself with bring to the table of your relationships.
Some traits that may make you rethink the people you hang out with are:
– put you down
– always have to top whatever you say
– make you feel bad about making good choices
– always give you advice when you just need them to listen
– hang with you when you’re up and disappear when you’re down
– talk about you in a negative light around others
– allow others to talk bad about you when you’re not around
– love you with conditions
Some traits that are sure signs that you have some great people in your line up are:
– support you
– tell you the truth
– inspire you to do better
– push you when you feel unmotivated
– humble you when you need to get checked
– listen to you when you just need to vent
– pray over your and your endeavors
– let others know they can’t talk badly about you
– reliable when you need them
– know how to make you smile on your saddest days
So take a moment and do some Spring Cleaning of your close friendships if necessary. You are a product of who you surround yourself with. It’s like a spades game – you can’t choose the hand you’re given but you can ALWAYS choose who you want to be your partner.